Privacy, confidentiality, intellectual property, policies and permissions.
- Protect confidential information about yourself as well as co-workers, your employer and clients, family and friends. Remember that what you publish through a social media site, even within a closed network, is not private. Assume it will be shared, stored and spread.
- Follow and read the terms of service of any social media platform employed.
- Ask permission before posting photos of other people and/or comments attributed to others, following applicable privacy laws.
- Adhere to University policies regarding privacy, confidentiality and intellectual property rights, as well as federal and provincial laws governing privacy and copyright. You may want to consult the U of G Acceptable Use Policy.
- Making endorsements is Prohibited. Advertising on behalf of external vendors and endorsements of products, causes or political parties and candidates are prohibited on University of Guelph websites and social media sites.
- Follow applicable fundraising policies when using social media tools to promote fundraising events or solicit donations on behalf of the University. For assistance, contact Alumni Affairs and Development.