We’re in the final week of classes for the winter semester. As you prepare for exam season, we’re here to help! Check out academic resources and supports for your mental well-being to help you finish the semester strong.
Recharge during your study breaks
Taking breaks when you study can help you manage stress and protect your mental well-being. When you’re ready for a break, check out the activities below. They can help you recharge and reconnect with your fellow Gryphons. See the full list of stress buster events on GryphLife.ca!
- Plant Pot Painting with Jack.org
April 5 from noon to 3 p.m., McLaughlin Library, Room 109
Drop by the library and unleash your creativity with a free painting activity! Grab a brush and decorate a plant pot – a great way to de-stress and welcome spring.
- End of Year Celebration
April 6 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Branion Plaza, Creelman Plaza, Johnston Green
Come celebrate everything you’ve accomplished this year! Food trucks will be parked in Branion Plaza and Creelman Plaza. Be among the first 1,200 students to pick up meal tickets in Branion Plaza to score free food! Stick around to sign our banners and play lawn games on Johnston Green. First- and second-year students can visit the booth in Branion Plaza to pick up free study kits with a notebook, stickers, stress relievers, honey and more!
- Games and Prizes with Students Supporting Students
April 7 from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m., Branion Plaza
Grade 9 students from St. John’s-Kilmarnock School want to help you take a break! Join them for some fun physical activity like hula hooping and jump rope, and they’ll treat you to a $5 Tim Hortons gift card.
- Take a Paws
Tuesdays from 5 to 6 p.m., Athletics Centre – Register online
De-stress with the help of a furry friend! Sign up for Take a Paws and spend time cuddling with a trained therapy dog.
- Gryphon Gifts – Coffee and a Treat
April 12 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., University Centre Courtyard
Pick up a coffee and baked good, courtesy of the U of G Alumni Association, to get you through your day.
- Study Snacks Giveaway
April 13 from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., McLaughlin Library
Drop by the library and pick up a free healthy snack to fuel your study session. Available while supplies last.
- Project Serve Tree Planting
April 13, 19 and 26
Take a break from studying and join Student Volunteer Connections for one, two or all three Project Serve Days! We’ll help out at the Green Legacy Programme, the largest municipal tree planting program in North America to transplant trees, seed and help the organization get ready for summer.
- Healthy Eating as Self-Care with SNAP
April 7 and 14 from 11:30 to 1:30 p.m., McLaughlin Library
Drop by the SNAP booth on the first floor of the library to learn about taking care of your physical health through healthy eating.
- Residence Stress Busters
Check your building’s Microsoft Teams channel for info on planned events! Stress busters run from 9 to 10 p.m. nightly.
- Exam Stress Buster Book
McLaughlin Library while supplies last or download online
Pick up or download a copy of this useful stress buster book. Check out the book’s study tips or take a break with its puzzles and colouring pages.
- Air-Purifying Plants
While supplies last, UAIC Info Desk
Spider plants bring some life to your study space and help clean the air! Pick up your free spider plant from the UAIC Info Desk on the first floor of the University Centre.
- Virtual Yoga
April 12 from 10 to 10:45 a.m. – Register online
Join the library for an online yoga session! The combined benefits of moving your body and practising mindfulness through yoga will help you refocus your mind and study more effectively.
- Gryphon Gifts – Instagram Giveaway
April 14 starting at 9 a.m., on the @uofgalumni Instagram account
Enter an Instagram giveaway from the U of G Alumni Association for your chance to win a $10 e-gift card to your choice to Starbucks or Tim Hortons.
- Virtual Chair Yoga and Mindfulness
April 19 from 10 to 10:45 a.m. – Register online
Get your body moving without even leaving your chair! By taking a study break, moving your body and practising mindfulness, you’ll come back to your studies refreshed and refocused.
- Wellness Bingo
Cards due April 18
Download a Wellness Bingo card, complete different wellness activities and submit a photo of your card online for a chance to win a $25 Hospitality Services gift card!
- Leave a Message on the Positivity Board
Share words of encouragement to motivate others during exam time! Students, staff and faculty are encouraged to post a message online or drop by the library to add a note.
- Online fitness classes with Gryphon Athletics
Get your heart pumping through on-demand fitness classes from Gryphon Athletics – no equipment needed!
Academic resources to help you prep
Get quick access to academic resources to help you finish the semester strong. The Undergraduate Academic Information Centre has a list of online resources to help students with their academic success, including tutoring and supported learning groups. Or speak to someone through live chat for help finding information and resources.
No matter what type of exam you’re prepping for, the library has strategies to help! Choose from tips for:
Get familiar with the technology
Before your exams start, if your instructors are using Respondus Lockdown Browser and Monitor, make sure you’re familiar with the system and its requirements. Your course outline will indicate whether your exam will be delivered through Respondus. Take the sample test your instructor provides so you can try out the technology.
Missed a final exam or assignment?
As we work to ensure course completion and student success, we will continue to put the health of our community first.
Heading into exam season, students are asked to keep the following in mind:
- Labs, lectures and exams may shift to remote delivery if there is a cluster of COVID-19 cases in a learning environment. Instructors will let students know if such a change is needed.
- If you’re sick, stay home, contact the COVID-19 call centre and complete a Student Self-Declaration form. You are not required to provide proof of illness (i.e., medical documentation) if you miss a lecture, lab or assessment due to illness or isolation requirements.
- If you get sick and will miss an exam or other final assessment (such as a final paper), contact your program counsellor immediately.
Need to talk?
When things get stressful or overwhelming, it helps having someone to talk to. Check out these free mental health resources for students.
- Counselling Services: Individual and group counselling for students
Urgent drop-in sessions by phone Monday to Friday – 12:30 to 3:30 p.m.
Call 519-824-4120, Ext. 53244, to set up a session.
- Student Wellness Navigators: Service for students who are accessing Counselling Services for the first time or who have concerns about their mental health and don’t know where to go next
Online or phone sessions available Monday to Friday – 8:30 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4:30 p.m.
Call 519-824-4120, Ext. 52131, to book an appointment.
- Student Support Network: Confidential peer-to-peer support
Virtual drop-in sessions Monday to Friday – noon to 10 p.m.
- Here 24/7: Local mental health and crisis phone line
- Crisis Text Line: Text-based mental health support
Text “UofG” to 686868 to start a conversation.
U of G’s Student Experience advisers are also available to support you:
- Cultural Diversity – Tameera Mohamed – firstname.lastname@example.org
- International Student Advisers – Matthew Keefe and Pugaleni Iynkaran – email@example.com
- Indigenous Student Adviser – Natasha Young – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sexual and Gender Diversity Adviser – Tameera Mohamed – email@example.com
Take care of yourself this exam season and check in with your friends, too. Good luck!