Need help navigating your mental health or looking for supports from your community? Check out resources from U of G and reliable partners.
Mental Well-Being Resources
Call Student Wellness at 519-824-4120, Ext. 53244 to book a phone or video appointment with a U of G counsellor.
Just need someone to talk to? The Student Support Network (SSN) offers drop-in peer support virtually from noon to 10 p.m., Monday through Friday. Book a session online, and talk to someone today!
New to counselling at U of G? Call 519-824-4120, Ext. 53244 to speak with a Student Wellness Navigator. Learn more online about Counselling Services from Student Wellness.
Or, try online video counselling covered by your student health insurance plan.
Community Mental Health Supports
Many resources are available by phone to support students’ mental health.
- Here 24/7: 1-884- 437-3247
- Mental health crisis texting hotline: text “U of G” to 686868
- Good2Talk: 1-866- 925-5454 and also support via text by texting GOOD2TALKON to 686868.
- Help Phone is available 24/7 to all U of G students seeking mental health support: 1-800-668- 6868
- Mental health peer support via phone for Guelph CMHA clients. Visit the Canadian Mental Health Association website for local phone numbers.
- Telehealth Ontario: 1-866-797-0000
Online Mental Health Support
The tools and resources below offer ways to support your well-being through online platforms. These resources have been recommended by staff in Student Wellness Services.
- Feeling Better Now
- Assesses individuals’ risk for a mental health condition. Provides recommendations about treatment and information about resources and services.
- Keep.meSAFE (International Students)
- 24/7 online or phone counselling for international students. Counselling is offered in many different languages and from counsellors with a variety of backgrounds.
- Wellness Together Canada
- Free online resources, tools and apps for addressing low mood, worry, substance use, social isolation and relationship issues.
- Starling Mind
- Free online self-help modules for people to manage their mental health during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Online peer-to-peer support community
- Free mental health app where you can chat with a bot about your mental wellness. The bot provides you with personalized tools and mindfulness strategies based on your conversations.
- Free mental health app that helps you learn to relax, be mindful, and use active steps to take charge of your anxiety.
For general inquiries about Student Experience and the support available, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also get support, including mental well-being and community building, from the resources listed below:
- Cultural Diversity: email@example.com
- First Nations, Métis, and Inuit students: firstname.lastname@example.org
- International students: email@example.com
- Multi-Faith: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Off-Campus Living: email@example.com
- Sexual and Gender Diversity: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bounceback and ReSTART are still offering their services to students virtually. You don’t have to be in Guelph to meet with your facilitator – you can either connect online or by phone.
Supports for the LGBTQ2SIA+ Community
The University of Guelph recognizes the additional barriers and unique impacts that COVID-19 has placed on the LGBTQ2SIA+ community, ranging from housing concerns, healthcare access, navigating complex interpersonal relationships, and more. LGBTQ2SIA+ students who are seeking support and resources can connect with the Sexual and Gender Diversity Advisor, Jarred Sanchez-Cacnio, by emailing them at email@example.com.
We remind all students that there are crisis lines with trained volunteers who are informed of the unique challenges that LGBTQ2SIA+ individuals are subjected to:
- LGBT Youth Line – Youth Line offers confidential and non-judgemental peer support through telephone, text and chat services. Get in touch with a peer support volunteer from Sunday to Friday, 4 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Trans Lifeline – Trans Lifeline’s Hotline is a 24/7 peer support service run by trans people, for trans and questioning callers. Call 1-877-330-6366.